Committee Structure 2018-2022
At its meeting in December 2017 the Council decided on the new Committee Structure for the period 2018-2022.
The arrangement of four technical Committees has served IALA well over many years. An important factor is also the practical consideration of space and facilities at IALA HQ, including secretarial support and documents management.
The Committees proposed for the work period of 2018-2022 are:
- Aids to Navigation Requirements and Management, ARM
- Engineering and Sustainability, ENG
- e-Navigation Information Services and Communications, ENAV
- Vessel Traffic Services, VTS
When compared with the distribution of work in the 2014-2018 Committee structure, the following changes will be seen:
- Radionavigation Services work moves to ENG. This work includes satellite positioning and timing, terrestrial positioning and timing, racon & radar positioning and augmentation services. This is a discrete set of work items and will sit very comfortably in ENG. It will also help to balance participation numbers in the four Committees, with a practical benefit for meetings and the use of Secretariat facilities;
- The present work in ENAV on “Terminology, symbology and portrayal” (under Information Services in the Standards Map) moves to ARM, placing it with other items concerned with the interface to the mariner;
- ENAV is renamed “e-Navigation Information Services and Communications” (ENAV) to reflect the focus of its work now and in future;
- Information services will be treated in both ARM and ENAV Committees
- The management of Maritime Service Portfolios and S-200 in ARM; and
- The data modelling in ENAV
- Capacity building is added to ARM.