MSM: Lighthouse upgrade case study
The above IALA Industrial Member, otherwise known as MSM, reported towards the end of February that it had carried out a case study for upgrade of six lighthouses on the Malaga Coast of Spain.
The Malaga coast has six emblematic lighthouses, whose equipment has just been renewed by MSM to adapt them to their current needs, thus optimizing their operation and management.
After a first study to check the status of this lighthouse network and to plan the logistics for the renovation, the MSM technical team travelled to the province of Malaga to carry out appropriate actions, including renovation, supply and installation of equipment, and maintenance to complete a major project that has involved six lighthouses as listed here:
- Punta Doncella Lighthouse, Estepona.
- Calaburras Lighthouse, Mijas.
- Marbella Lighthouse.
- Malaga Lighthouse, La Farola.
- Torre del Mar Lighthouse, Vélez-Málaga.
- Torrox Lighthouse.
Common works at all lighthouses
In addition to the tasks that were carried out in each of these lighthouses according to their specific needs, a series of common works were executed for all sites as here:
- Reprogramming of existing logic controllers (PLCs) to manage the operation of the signal, alarm monitoring and remote control functions. Additionally, practical training on the operation of this software for aids to navigation technicians was provided.
- Installation of GLOBAL NETCOM software, developed by MSM, a system for the monitoring and remote control of all lighthouses and beacons being part the Aids to Navigation network of the Port Authority of Malaga, including a training course for the use and management of the software.
- Installation of CCTV cameras that can be used to remotely monitor the correct operation of the optic equipment through Global Netcom and also provide security against possible vandalism or criminal acts.
- Installation of a UPS to cover power micro-outages and prevent problems caused by the different systems that depend on the electrical panel.
- Supply of a set of spare metal halide lamps.
The case study
The Malaga Lighthouses case study by MSM is available in pdf form here:
Rapporteur: Paul Ridgway