Accreditation of training organizations
The objective of the Academy is not so much to deliver training by itself, but rather to develop and promote the use and delivery of IALA model courses world-wide. Many of the IALA model courses are delivered through a global network of accredited training organisations with the support of the IALA World-Wide Academy.
Accredited training organisations have been subject to audit by a competent authority in accordance with the IALA Accreditation Scheme to ensure that they have the necessary quality and training management systems in place to deliver high quality training in accordance with the IALA standards.
The Academy delivers a range of courses itself, particularly those which are not being delivered by any accredited training organizations or where demand exceeds the existing capacity in a given region or language.
The IALA accreditation scheme
The IALA accreditation scheme is based IALA Standard S1010 on Training and Certification. The relevant IALA publications are:
- Recommendation R0149 Accreditation of Training Organisations (O-149),
- Guideline G1100 The Accreditation and Approval Process for AtoN Personnel Training, and
- Guideline 1014 Accreditation and Approval Process for VTS training
Recommendation R0149 recommends that:
- Authorities made responsible, in whole or in part, by the Government, for VTS or AtoN should consider accrediting and approving VTS and AtoN training organisations as described in IALA Guidelines on the accreditation and approval process for VTS and AtoN training.
- Training Organisations who deliver, or plan to deliver, VTS or AtoN training based on the IALA suite of Model Courses should seek accreditation and approval by such authorities in order to obtain recognition of their ability to meet the requirements described in IALA Guidelines on the accreditation and approval process for VTS and AtoN training as well as IALA Model Courses.
The two guidelines provide further details on the requirements and procedures involved.
In accordance with guidelines 1014 and 1100, competent authorities wishing to add an accredited training organization should inform IALA about the accreditation application and provide a copy of the approval certificate(s).
Competent authorities wishing to amend the details of courses offered by accredited training organizations should provide a copy of the approval certificate(s) or provide written confirmation for the removal of an approved course as appropriate.
Accredited Training Organization listings
The following training organizations have been accredited by their respective Competent Authority to deliver Vessel Traffic Service and Marine Aids to Navigation training based on the procedures set out in IALA Recommendation O-149 on the Accreditation of Training Organizations. The relevant competent authority has provided to IALA confirmation of the accreditation and approval in accordance with IALA guidelines 1014 and 1100.
Use of the IALA logo on certification and course materials
The use of the IALA logo on any training documentation, including certificates, can only be used by an accredited training organization in a country where IALA has a national member.
The use of the logo indicates that the process of accreditation and approval has been conducted in accordance with the IALA standards.
The logo may only be used during the period of validity of the accreditation and approval certification.
The logo should be used in such a secondary and circumspect manner so as to not represent that IALA is responsible for the course conduct or delivery.
Enquiries regarding specific VTS training courses should be referred to the relevant accredited training organizations.
Enquiries regarding national VTS training policy or the accreditation and approval process should be referred to the relevant competent authority.
Enquiries regarding Marine Aids to Navigation Training may be referred to the IALA World-Wide Academy or the relevant accredited training organization.
The contact e-mail address for enquiries with respect to general IALA standards related to VTS and Marine Aids to Navigation training and certification or the accreditation and approval process is email@example.com